Monday 7 July 2008

Good days followed by heart breaking earth shattering days

Ok so just when I think I've got the hang of thing here in Haiti and at the clinic i get the feet cleaned from under me! I had a really good week last week, saw a lot, learnt alot, met some amazing people, said goodbye to some wonderful people and generally God blessed me.

We had a wonderful weekend, loads of good craic, however on sunday we were on the way to church whenever we got a phonecall from a mum who's kid was in sickle cell crisis so we had to come back to the clinic and treat her (just giving her an IV and morphine) so our plans changed and we went to the local church right beside the clinic which was an amazing experience! Then this morning I said goodbye to Nadine and Vicki (the 2 Canadian nurses who were living with me) I'll miss them loads!!!

Today was probably the hardest day I've had at the clinic so far emotionally, spiritually and of course medically I just ask that you pray for the people of Haiti, pray for the nurses and doctors both in the clinic and in other hospitals in haiti, pray for families who can't afford to keep their own kids and so try to pass them off to strangers, pray for the AIDS crisis in Haiti, and for vacinations which prevent so many diseases pray that people won't die from easily preventable diseases. People die from things like Diptheria and Polio, things we haven't seen in the UK for maybe 30 years, because it's easily prevented by a simple childhood injection, but in Haiti when someone gets these thing 8 times out of 10 they die and thats one of the hardest things to cope with out here soooo many people dying of preventable diseases and malnutrition.

I don't really know how to communicate to you how I'm feeling at the minute because I'm not even sure myself ... so I suppose that will be my last prayer request pray for me and the other missionaries that when days like these come along we'll be able to lean on God (all the time not just on days like these) because if today was anything to go by - I cannot do this alone - I really can't. I've had a rough day guys just pray that I'll be able to process what's going on in my head and that God will help me make some sense out of it and that I'll learn and grow because of it.

Thanks for all your support and prayers
Love you all Loads
Laura xoxo

7 comments:

Alison said...

hey Laura,

Sounds like you having an amazing experience like no other, im continuing to pray for you and cant wait to hear all and see photos when you get home.

Lots of Love

Alison xoxo

Craig said...

His power is made perfect in our weakness Laura. Hope you're copin ok and that your eyes are opened to a very real and very big GOD.

Craig

Alison said...

Hi Laura. Hang on in there. will keep praying for you. Heather xo

Claire said...

Hard days eh? Sounds like it. Kinda tear jerking even reading it. 'Be of good courage'. God IS Good. Life changing times you're having. Take heart because our God reigns and He is faithful. I had a hard day today - nothing life changing at all - just the mundane difficulties of work here in NI/NHS. Be encouraged - God is using you to encourage others. Hard o believe you've been away for over 5 weeks. Looking forward to having you home and to New Horizon. Love ya, Claire xo

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,
Sounds like you're having such an amazing time. Isn't it a blessing that God has given us such a range of emotions - they just help us appreciate everything around us so much more...
Thinking & praying bout you
irenex

Nadine said...

Laura, You're on my heart and in my prayers.

Family Blogs said...

We're praying for you Laura.
A&C