Thursday 3 July 2008

Ok so first of all can i say sorry mummy! I had a patient yesterday afternoon (how wierd does that sound!) There was a car crash around lunch time and we spent most of the afternoon suturing the huge deep gash on the back of his hand (including an artery! yikes!) Then we had to take him down to the x-ray place about 10 minutes down the road. We had to take him there because the X-ray machine at bethesda broke (as in completely unfixable) in January so everytime they need an x-ray herewe have to either send or take people to the other x-ray place which charges about 4 times as much for an x-ray which in the current economical situation is crazy cos people can't afford basic food never mind an x-ray which cost about 3 weeks wages! (alot of the time we subsidise or pay for the x-rays). So it turned out his elbow was broken in 2 places (for you medical people reading this it was the head of the radius and the elecronon - i think thats spelt right?) so we had to bring him back and put him in a cast. He was the most amazing wee man he was about 75 and was an elder in the church that one of the nurses in the clinic goes to - well actually i think her husband is the pastor- and he prayed with us so many times thanking God that he didn't die in the crash, thanking Him for bringing us t0 Him and much much more he even sang for us i think it translated I love the Lord, I love the Lord, I love the Lord for all he has done for me, I love the Lord, I love the Lord, I love the Lord for all he has given me, now this wee man literally had nothing but the clothes he stood in and he was praising the Lord for all he was worth - it was so humbling to see and hear!

The main reason I wanted to write this post though was to say goodbye to some people. Now when they actually left I quite literally balled my eyes out (some of you know I'm not too good with goodbyes!)and they even gave me a birthday present which made me cry even harder! The team that arrived the day after me, left on tuesday afternoon and it was one of the hardest things I've had to do out here! They have been there for me the whole time we had some amazingly funny times, playing alot of games and taking alot of pictures (esp in my room - imagine 12 people on a single bed trying to pose for pictures!) and some sad times when we cried together and got each other through some of the tougher stuff. I've truly made some life long friends - so they'll be invading Norn Iron over the next while! So (in no particular order!) Jen, Beth, Emily, Carly, Anna, Christina, Mary (and not forgetting) Tim thankyou guys for everything you taught me out here, everything you shared with me, thank-you for letting me be your kimmy gibbler! and know that I love you all lots and everyday out here is a struggle without you.

The other person I wanted to say goodbye to is Julie (she's from NI) she's a physio and has been here for 6 months, and she left yesterday, it was alot of fun getting to know her, and as much as I'll miss her its not just as emotional cos lets face it I'll see her in like 3 weeks time! So Julie love ya lots and miss you loads and I'll see you when I get home and we'll meet up for that coffee and you'll esp have to meet all my family ;)

Thanks again for all the comments and messages guys!
Love you all lots and miss u LOADS
God Bless
Laura xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LAURA!!! Thank you! You are absolutely wonderful, and I am sooo blessed to have had the chance to work with you for the past month. I have to say that dinner last night with my parents, while nice, was not the same without your "american" accent. I love you soooo much and can't wait to see you again. Send my love to the gang.
Know that I am thinking of you, praying for you and loving you,
Beth

Unknown said...

Awww, Laura, I loved your last post! I miss being there with you, and talking about everything we've seen through the day. But you are so strong and brilliant, and will get through it all with grace and patience. I am praying for you EVERY day!!
I love you. And miss you and your lovely accent. :)
Hugs until the cows come home,
Emmy